Tips, Tricks and FYIs from a Nutrition Guru

Monday, January 28, 2013

Flaxseed....an Egg Substitute!



I'm a big fan of flaxseed, it's high in omega 3's which are great for your heart health. I bought some flaxseed meal and I'm having a lot of fun trying to find new ways to add it to my meals.  I blend up at least a tablespoon in my smoothies and I recently found a great new way to incorporate even more flaxseed into my diet....mixing ground flaxseed (or flaxseed meal) with water makes a great substitute for eggs in baking!

It seems like I'm always out of eggs when I need them so this is a great alternative.  I have a big bag of flaxseed meal on hand and it takes just a minute to mix the equivalent of just one egg.  One large egg is equivalent to 1 tablespoon of flaxseed meal mixed in 3 tablespoons of water.

I wanted pancakes tonight and I was out of eggs so I used this alternative and it worked great.  I challenge you to try it at home!

No comments:

Post a Comment