Tips, Tricks and FYIs from a Nutrition Guru

Friday, December 14, 2012

Frozen Veggies Are Your Friend!

I love frozen vegetables for several reasons: 


1.  They are pretty much the same price year round (even the sales are somewhat predictable)
2.  Frozen vegetables are picked and flash frozen at peak ripeness.  This means that you are purchasing the best quality product in terms of flavor and nutrient density. 
3.  They generally come prechopped and ready to go=timesaver!
4.  There are several premixed options out there (mirepoix-carrots, onion, celery, pepper and onion blend) that are recipe ready.  Mirepoix is a blend used in many soups and the pepper and onion blend is perfect for fajitas and other Mexican dishes. It's like a game for me to see how many veggies I can add to my favorite recipes and frozen vegetables make this really easy.  Have you ever tried blending steamed cauliflower into your mashed potatoes?  If you steam it well and blend it thoroughly your family and your tastebuds won't even know the difference and you will have the added benefit of extra fiber, vitamins and minerals.  I used to do this with my husband and sister often.  I recently let them in on the secret but I made sure that they liked my recipe before I clued them in. 
 





No comments:

Post a Comment