Tips, Tricks and FYIs from a Nutrition Guru

Thursday, October 11, 2012

Dinner for One: Baked Sweet Potato and Black Bean Salsa

My husband travels a lot for business so I've had to learn to adjust not only my dinner preparation but also my shopping to plan my meals for one.  Lucky for me, he is a much pickier eater than I am so his business trips are a great excuse for me to try out some new recipes and to eat a bit healthier (my diet consists of mostly vegetables when he's on the road).  Today I tired a quick and tasty new recipe inspired by Eatingwell.com but with a few modifications to make it for just one and to incorporate the ingredients that I already had at home.  Here's the basic recipe.

Baked Sweet Potato with Black Bean Salsa

Ingredients:

1 sweet potato
1 can black beans rinsed
As much prepared salsa as you would like (you can also substitute canned or fresh tomatoes)
1 tsp cumin

Directions:

1.  Wash the sweet potato and puncture several times with a fork
2.  Microwave on high for about 10 minutes or until the sweet potato is cooked all the way through
3.  Drain and rinse the black beans
4.  Mix black beans in a bowl with salsa, cumin and any other spices or vegetables that you would like
5.  Remove the sweet potato from the microwave and allow to cool 
6.  Microwave the bean mixture for 3 minutes
7.  Cut open the potato and peel if desired.  Top with salsa and serve.  

This was a great, tasty and easy to prepare dinner that I will definitely try again.  It was even better followed up by some soy ice cream :).  Enjoy and happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment