Tips, Tricks and FYIs from a Nutrition Guru

Monday, December 5, 2011

Tip: Oatmeal Pancakes, Freeze the leftovers and have breakfast all week long!

I got this recipe from a chef that I used to volunteer with at Cooking Matters and it's one of my favorites!  You can add anything to the basic pancake recipe from zucchini, carrots and spices, pumpkin or my favorite- blueberries!  It makes a lot of pancakes so I like to freeze the leftovers in freezer ziploc baggies.  I put two or three in a bag, pop them in the freezer and then I have pancakes ready whenever I want!  I just warm them up in the microwave or toaster each morning for a quick and healthy breakfast.


Here's the frozen product:

The recipe:

Corey's Oatmeal Pancakes

Combine and set aside
1 3/4 cup buttermilk
2 tsp baking soda

Mix together
1/2 cup oatmeal
1/3 cup sugar
1 1/2 cup flour (a combination of all purpose and whole wheat is my favorite!)
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla
3 eggs

Whatever mix ins you want to add-zucchini, pumpkin (1/4 cup), blueberries, chocolate chips, spices, etc

Add buttermilk and soda mixture to oatmeal mixture.  Stir to incorporate completely.  Batter will be lumpy.  Pour by 1/4 to 1/3 cup measure onto a hot skillet or griddle.  Cook over medium to medium high heat until edges set and flip. 

Leftover pancakes can be refrigerated or frozen. Place in toaster or microwave oven to reheat. 

Makes 13-14 pancakes. 

Yum!  And the finished product, reheated for breakfast just yesterday. 


No comments:

Post a Comment